We were inspired by a recent UX Planet article featuring the top quotes every UX designer should read, and we have to admit we love a good quote! So here are some of our favourite UX (User Experience) Design quotes:
1) “There is no such thing as information overload, just bad design. If something is cluttered and/or confusing, fix your design.”
- Edward Tufte
2) “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
- Steve Jobs
3) “Consistency is one of the most powerful usability principles: when things behave the same, users don’t have to worry about what will happen. Instead, they will know what will happen based on earlier experience."
- Jakob Nielsen
4) "If you think that Good Design is expensive, you should look at the cost of Bad Design."
- Ralf Speth
5) “Our job is to give the clients, on time and cost, not what he wants, but what he never dreamed he wanted; and when he gets it, he recognises it's something he wanted all the time.”
- Dewys Landon, quoted by Tim Peters in the Circle of Innovation
6) "Design is not about innovation. Design is about communication. Innovation in design is usually a wonderful byproduct or direct result of a particular need. Design that seeks to foremost be innovative will commonly fall apart under its own stylistic girth."
- Jason Santa Maria
7) “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
8) “Photoshop is the most effective way to show your clients what their website will never look like.”
- Stephen Hay
9) "Good design is finding a solution to a problem. Great design is finding the simplest solution to the same problem."
- Nicholas Petersen
10) "Research not to discover what’s already there, but to discover what’s not."
- Samadara Ginige
11) "Good ideas rarely come in bunches. The designer who voluntarily presents his client with a batch of layouts does so not out prolificacy, but out of uncertainty or fear."
- Paul Rand
12) "If you find an element of your interface requires instructions, then you need to redesign it."
- Dan Rubin
13) "If you want a quick logo that has no research, brand definition or storytelling as part of its development, then you are buying ART not DESIGN. Design creates connections."
- Lisa Manson
14) "I think most programmers spend the first 5 years of their career mastering complexity, and the rest of their lives learning simplicity."
- Buzz Andersen
15) “The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.”
- Hans Hofmann, German-born American abstract expressionist artist
16) “People ignore design that ignores people.”
17) “Usability is not a quality that can be spread out to cover a poor design like a layer of peanut butter.”
- Clayton H Lewis (Professor of Computer Science)
18) "I think if you’re starting out early in the process by talking about your ideas for solutions, you’re already not listening. I think you need to enter into any design project with that zen learner’s mind of ‘I don’t know what I don’t know."
- Kim Goodwin
19) "What problem have you solved, ever, that was worth solving where you knew all the given information in advance? No problem worth solving is like that. In the real world; you have a surplus of information and you have to filter it or; you don’t have sufficient information and you have to go find some."
- Dan Meyer
20) “Pay attention to what users do, not what they say.”
- Jakob Nielsen
Here are some of our favourite UX quotes. Get in touch if you think we should add any more :)